This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Angela Broadbent 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #1424

    Jo Lambert

    Hi all.  Please can you tell me what happens in other Authorities regarding epilepsy training for school staff?  I don’t mean generic awareness training but for specific CYP requiring emergency medication etc.  In parts of Essex this is still undertaken by the community nursing team’s specialist epilepsy nurses.  However, due to there being different Health Care Trusts in different parts of Essex (one having been taken over by Virgin, for example), this is no longer provided.  Schools are having to buy in expensive training which is not always specific or personalised enough.  I’d be interested to hear what is happening in other Authorities and who provides this training?  What happens if training is specified in the CYP’s EHCP (does the Authority then have a responsibility to provide it)?

    Many thanks in anticipation!


    Jane Carter

    Interesting this.  When our School Nursing Service was re-tendered, several activities / responsibilities were overlooked and not covered in the tender specification, including training around specific individual CYP and continence.  I’ve heard several explanations of this since: it was simply an oversight or, given that School Nursing now comes under Public Health it’s not a Public Health responsibility but a CCG responsibility. In the interim whilst this was being resolved schools were left in an extremely vulnerable position. In my area the CCN team stepped in, although not funded to do so, to ensure
    safety of learners and inclusion.  Behind the scenes our fabulous Designated Clinical Officer worked with the CCGs to clarify responsibilities. In the main School Nurses do anything generic, Specialist Nurses attached to hospitals (Diabetes, Epilepsy, Stoma etc) train staff and sign off competences, then the CCN work with schools around specific children with life limiting conditions, for example, on their caseload. Hope this helps.


    Angela Broadbent

    Hi Jo

    in Worcs, any specific training related to a child with complex epilepsy in a mainstream setting comes directly from a specialist nurse. School staff find it very helpful. If it is general guidelines, it would come from school nurses or first aiders would gain knowledge on their courses.


Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.